The History of Altgeld Hall
Altgeld Hall, which was added to the National Register of Historic Buildings in 1970, was constructed in 1896-1897 and was first used as the University Library. In 1927, Altgeld Hall became the home of the College of Law. The Mathematics Department became the residents of Altgeld Hall in 1956. A centennial celebration was held June 16, 1997.
Take a tour of Altgeld Hall online!
Dates, facts, pictures and building layouts
- Dates, facts and layouts
- University of Illinois Archives
- "Altgeld Hall, The Original Library Building at the University of Illinois: Its History, Architecture and Art", Master of Arts Thesis by Muriel Scheinman, 1969
- Building History by the Mathematics Library (includes photos of Altgeld and Math Library)
Centennial Celebration, June 16, 1997
The Bells of Altgeld Hall
The University Chime was installed in the Altgeld Tower in 1920. The chime was the gift of the classes of 1914 through 1921 and the U.S. School of Miliary Aeronautics.
- Chimes Concerts
- Listen to an interview with Chimesmaster, Sue Wood
- Bells of Altgeld Hall
- University of Illinois Carillon Project
History of the Department of Mathematics
- Past Heads and Chairs of the Department of Mathematics
- "2^11213 - 1" and the "Four colors suffice" Postmarks used by the Department of Mathematics
- More history of the department is available in the thesis by Edna Cleo Stanford "The History of the Department of Mathematics at the University of Illinois" at Reference Desk in the Mathematics Library in Altgeld Hall.
- Department Calendars
Math Model Collection, Department of Mathematics
History of the University of Illinois
- UIHistories Project -- Visit UIHistories to trace the 150 year history of how the University of Illinois was founded on the "treeless prairie", and how the face of campus has changed as the University grew from a single building to the multicampus institution of today.