Office: 259 Altgeld Hall
Office Tel: (217) 333-3354
Fax: (217) 333-9576
Commutative Algebra Conference
The Commutative Algebra Conference: Honoring the Contributions of Phillip Griffith will be held at Department of Mathematics, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, September 16-18, 2005
Ph.D., University of Houston, 1968
Sloan Fellow, 1972-1973
Director of Graduate Studies, 2000-2005
Area of Specialization
Commutative algebra, polynomials in several variables, homological algebra, ring theory
- The New Intersection Theorem and Descent of Flatness for Integral Extensions. Journal of Algebra 322 (2009), 3142-3150.
- Multiplicities, the Canonical Element Conjecture and the Syzygy Problem (with S.P. Dutta). Michigan Math. J. 57 (2008), 227-247.
- Approximate liftings in local algebra and a theorem of Grothendieck. Journal of Pure and Applied Algebra 196 (2005), 185-202.
- Restriction of divisor classes to hypersurfaces in characteristic p (with Sandra Spiroff). Journal of Algebra 275 (2004), 801-814.
- The Baer splitting problem in the twenty first century. In the Special IJM volume celebrating the 100th anniversary of Reinhold Baer's birth, Illinois Journal of Math 47 (2003), 237-250.
- A graded syzygy theorem in mixed characteristic (with E.G. Evans). Mathematical Research Letters 8 (2001), 605-611.
- Induced formal deformations and the Cohen-Macaulay property. Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 353 (2000), 77-93.
Past Ph.D. students
Jean Hall Cook, 1971
Andrew R. Kustin, 1979
Matthew Miller, 1979
Dana Weston, 1986
Adam Richard Borek, 1993
Claudia Miller, 1997
Daniel Smith, 1999
Andrew Richardson, 2002
Sandra Spiroff, 2003
Hamid Kulosman, 2004